ietf-nntp OVER and PAT

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Nov 21 03:09:53 PST 2000

In <874s12tlua.fsf at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

>I regard this property (overview exactly equal to raw header, provided
>the raw header has no control characters) as being far too important
>to mess with. We should of course try and fix what to do about folds,
>tabs, nulls, and other non-printing characters, where currently there
>is no consistent behaviour, but we shouldn't break things that
>currently _are_ consistent across all common implementations.

So I think you are calling for SP in headers to be left strictly alone,
but all TABS and folds to be replaced by exactly one SP?

What about 'TAB SP'? What about trailing whitespace before a fold? What
about leading whitespace? OK, those are minor details, but the spec should
answer them unambiguously one way or the other.

It is probably better to leave controls (other than NULL and TAB) alone,
since that seems to be the DRUMS view of the issue.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 436 6131      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5