ietf-nntp Section 11.5 - NEWNEWS

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Nov 21 04:22:44 PST 2000

Charles Lindsey said:
>> However, it is desirable for the server's clock to be accurate enough
>> for the other approach to work too.
>
> It is unreasonable to expect servers around the world to be accurate to
> better than a few seconds (and it isn't going to happen just because we
> say so).

I agree.

I suggested some months ago that we say that the clock should be accurate
to some amount (I think I said 30 seconds). There were objections to the
idea, but perhaps we should revisit it.

If the server can't guarantee that accuracy, there should be a different
response code (112, perhaps).

> With the correct use of DATE, it doesn't matter. In other cases,
> people ought to put a fudge factor in. A NOTE to this effect would be
> useful.

Agreed.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138