ietf-nntp Wildmats

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Nov 21 02:22:17 PST 2000

Tim Roberts said:
> If "\" is not treated as an escape character in a set - does that exclude
> the use of "\s" in a set?

Yes, and also \u. There is existing practice saying that "[\s]" matches
backslash or s. There is no existing practice for \u outside sets.

This is perhaps an inconsistency, but on the other hand you can think of \
as an operator like [, so it isn't inconsistent.

> I'm also assuming the UTF-8 encoding is done
> PRIOR to set processing (otherwise the same applies to UTF-8 characters)..

The wildmat specification works in terms of *characters*, not octets.

    "a"           is a character
    "\u0061"      is a 6 character sequence representing it
    %xC0 %xA3     is the UTF-encoding of the pound sterling sign which
                    is a single character
    "\u00A3"      is a 6 character sequence representing it

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037