ietf-nntp Section 8

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Fri Nov 17 09:57:31 PST 2000

"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:

> The present section 8 is formatted in a completely different way from other
> commands. Instead of having an introduction, a description of responses,
> and then some examples, each response gets its own section.

Section 8 was based on an existing RFC (1869) using that format and style. It
can certainly be written in a different style, but again, getting such a change
done before IETF is unlikely. It can be worked on after San Diego.

As for the 402 Vs. empty list issue, that was also based on 1869's mechanism. I
chose that because it was an existing practice. We can do something different,
but having it based on
a practice that was already existing seemed to me to make it something folks in
the field
of writing clients would already have knowledge about.