ietf-nntp Draft comments

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Nov 16 03:50:45 PST 2000

Russ Allbery said:
> Also, if we add additional functionality to wildmat to express characters
> as their octal values, I'm in favor of using a syntax that also lets us
> represent Unicode.  I have no strong opinions on what that syntax should
> be, other than a mild preference to make it look vaguely C-like, so I'd
> prefer to leave it to the C standardization folks who are also on this
> list to recommend a good syntax based on their experience with C.

The C format is "\u1234" or "\U12345678", where the sequences are octal
digits and of fixed length. I see no reason to deviate from this.

I also see no need for \123 or \x1234, since these are defined to use the
local character code, and we should not be relying on that. In particular,
space should be \u0020 or \U00000020, not \040 or \x20.

If it helps with PAT, we could add \w for "white space, including folding".

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037