ietf-nntp Draft comments

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 15 13:23:03 PST 2000

Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

> Essentially, the consensus was to do it like XPAT (ugly, but it exists),
> with the possibility of using /040 or somesuch to match whitespace as an
> alternative.

I don't want to do the same thing as XPAT does (namely glue together
multiple arguments into one wildmat, treating any whitespace as matching a
literal single space).  I think that's way too ugly to put into an
official standard.

Also, if we add additional functionality to wildmat to express characters
as their octal values, I'm in favor of using a syntax that also lets us
represent Unicode.  I have no strong opinions on what that syntax should
be, other than a mild preference to make it look vaguely C-like, so I'd
prefer to leave it to the C standardization folks who are also on this
list to recommend a good syntax based on their experience with C.