ietf-nntp Draft comments

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Nov 15 07:50:39 PST 2000

In <yl1ywfsoea.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Stan O Barber <sob at verio.net> writes:

>> 1. Section 5 -- Wildmat specification.....

Yes, we were discussing this, but I see Clive has started a separate thread.

>I think the other major issue was PAT.  How do you match strings
>containing spaces, are the matches done against the raw headers (and if
>so, how do you match newlines) or unfolded headers or something else, and
>do you do the same munging of the headers as overview does before
>matching?

Yes, we were in the midst of a discussion of this when Stan announced a
new draft was about to appear, so we all stood aside while he got on with
it.

I have looked back at the correspondence in the archive, and I think we
had almost reached a consensus, except that there was some interaction
with OVER to be looked at. I think I now understand where we were at, and
plan to write something in the next couple of days.

Essentially, the consensus was to do it like XPAT (ugly, but it exists),
with the possibility of using /040 or somesuch to match whitespace as an
alternative.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 436 6131      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5