ietf-nntp Draft comments

Tim Roberts troberts at bigfoot.com
Tue Nov 14 07:20:43 PST 2000

> Do you have a specific profile in mind for the client you are envisioning?
> Sorting using requires memory and most of the PDA-type devices I know
about
> don't have lots of it. Servers usually do.
You are correct in your assumption that I did not consider PDA devices.
However, I would still argue against sorting on the server side for two
reasons:
1)  A large percentage of clients will be using machines capable of sorting.
2)  A spec should strive not to consider software/hardware implications.

I think #2 is especially important because both the software/hardware areas
change far more rapidly than a spec can.  Given a few more years - I'm sure
PDA, wireless and any other future device will be capable of doing just
that.

A third reason (which admittedly goes against what I just said) is that
maximizing the efficiency of the server allows it to run on less capable
boxes.  This is important in the era of broadband, always on connections
where the typical home user can setup their own servers on 'stressed' boxes.