ietf-nntp Draft comments

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Nov 14 01:24:24 PST 2000

Stan O. Barber said:
> I have heard nothing since the draft was published at the beginning of the
> month.

My apologies. I've been working through the new draft, and meant to get
some comments out earlier than this. I note that you've taken a number of
my suggestions, and I'm glad to see this.

> 1. Section 5 -- Wildmat specification..... The last discussion we had (that I
> see in the archives) was to replace this section with something based on the
> latest INN documentation. I have not seen specific text on this. I'd prefer
> someone else offer that and I edit it, but I can write it if there is still
> interest in replacing this section.

I still think what we've got is inadequate. I'll take this up in a separate
thread.

> 2. Section 7 -- Streaming .... There was proposed text on this that I didn't
> include in 11. My concern here is including this in the base specification
> rather than putting it in an extension. I think it makes a great extension, but
> I remain concerned about having in the base.

My concern is the opposite. Every client I've looked at assumes that
streaming works, and every server I've seen supports it. I think we're
doing a disservice by not including it. Again, I'll take this up in a
separate thread.

> Are there others? Please bring them up (or bring them up again, if they were not
> addressed).

I fully intend to.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138