ietf-nntp DEBUG command (9xx)

Lee Kindness lkindness at csl.co.uk
Mon Jul 31 01:39:34 PDT 2000

Stan O. Barber writes:
 > [ x9x ]
 > The question is still open (unless I missed it) on what a client
 > should do should a server present these results and that server is
 > understood to be in "normal circumstances" mode by the
 > client. Should the client ignore these responses or treat them as
 > protocol errors? I would suggest the latter, but again, I am open
 > to other possibilities as long as we can get some consensus.

This is really opening up a can of worms. Does a x9x respose replace a
normal response? Is it in addition to a normal reponse?

I think it is best to indicate that x9x responses are LOCAL EXTENSIONS
and not toil on their usage in the specification. If a server is using
x9x debug responses then they can knock up a client to parse them
(hell, telnet will do).

x9x responses are not in common usage and were never fully specified
by RFC-977.

Perhaps if debugging responses are thought to useful, and desirable,
we could define a DEBUG extension. If a client wants debug information
then they would do a LIST EXTENSIONS and check for DEBUG in the
response. A subsequent DEBUG ON command would enable the debugging
be of the form 9xx and would be in addition to normal resposes - thus
if 9xx is read then you must read another line looking for the real
response (and another if its 9xx):

 [C] LIST EXTENSIONS
 [S] 202 Extensions:
 [S]  DEBUG
 [S] .
 [C] DEBUG ON
 [S] 200 Debug responses enabled
 [C] LIST
 [S] 900 0.2 seconds to retrieve newsgroup list
 [S] 901 130 moderated groups, 9873 unmoderated.
 [S] 215 list of newsgroups follow:
 [S] alt.fan.nntp-authors
 [S] and.so.on
 [S] .