ietf-nntp wildmat: A reason for allowing \ in classes

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 30 18:02:04 PDT 2000

Hm.  It just occurred to me that my implementation currently doesn't do
the right thing with a comma inside a character class since it wants all
commas to be escaped with a backslash if they don't end a wildmat pattern.
This is obviously less than ideal.  It's going to take a significant
rework to fix that bug; I'll take a look at that tonight and see how hard
it will be.

If we allowed \ inside character classes, we could just require that all
commas that don't separate wildmat patterns be escaped regardless of where
they are, which would simplify the parser.  But perhaps I can come up with
a simpler approach that doesn't require that.