ietf-nntp newsgroup production

Chin Chee-Kai cheekai at SoftML.net
Fri Jul 28 11:46:59 PDT 2000

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Charles Lindsey wrote:

>> [......]
>>
>>No, you are wrong. It is only the first character of a component that may
>>not be '-' etc. There is nothing different between the first component and
>>the others.

Does "Other" include the character "-", and "Unicode Letter"
presumably not include character "-"?  Does the "< xxx , yyy >"
notation mean the character sets xxx followed by yyy?
If these are true, then you're right.  It'd help if you
had included complete definitions for the <...>s.

>>All NNTP needs to do is to pass on anything that _looks_ like a
>>newsgroup-name, and let the server worry about whether it is legal or not.

I don't quite follow here.  Implementors of servers use this
draft/RFC to decide whether a newsgroup reference is "legal" or
not.  Don't think we could put your line above in the draft/RFC
to complete an infinite loop.....

Cheers,
CK