ietf-nntp wildmat routines and text

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jul 27 15:10:31 PDT 2000

Russ Allbery said:
> I would really prefer to avoid all of this and just stick with wildmat the
> way it's implemented right now but with the minimal change of specifying
> the character set as being UTF-8.

Understandable.

> Anything more is a rather significant change to the meaning of backslash.
> I don't know how many people (if anyone) are currently taking advantage of
> the fact that you can safely backslash everything in a string to ensure it
> matches literally, but removing that is fairly significant.

Would it be less significant if the property was only removed for ASCII
alphanumerics, and retained elsewhere. I can see people writing \: for
safety, but not \a\l\t.

> (The changes
> to character classes I'm less concerned about, since in practice I think
> they're pretty rarely used.)

So what do you think \ should mean in a class ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037