ietf-nntp wildmat routines and text

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jul 27 14:55:49 PDT 2000

Martin J. Duerst said:
>> If you're going to do that, can I suggest that you steal the syntax from
>> C99:
>>
>>      \uxxxx           means U+0000xxxx in the ISO 10646 character set
>>      \Uxxxxxxxx       means U+xxxxxxxx in the ISO 10646 character set
>>
>> (the xs are hexadecimal digits).
>
> I suggest to change that to e.g. \uxxxx and \Uxxxxxx, i.e. only
> six digits for the second one. Both the Unicode consortium and
> ISO/IEC JTC1/WG2/SC2 have agreed to not encode any characters
> beyond \U10FFFF, so defining eight digits is clear overkill.

That depends on how trusting you are.

The *space* is defined as 31 bits. The boundary you mention looks rather
arbitrary to me (it's 2^21 + 2^16 - 1). And I thought the idea was for
large private spaces to occupy the high areas.

I'd rather rely on the limit being 31 bits than a statement "we won't use
all the space we've allocated". I've *seen* ISO committees break such
commitments ("we felt the new functionality was too important").

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037