ietf-nntp Merging ARTICLE, HEAD, BODY, and STAT

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jul 27 14:38:09 PDT 2000

Stan O. Barber said:
>> The four commands have a lot of common functionality plus specific
>> differences.

> Actually, the four commands have a simliar command set. The results returned by
> each command is quite different.

No they aren't. The results returned are *identical* except:
- the last digit of the 22x response;
- which lines are returned following a 22x response;
- 220, 221, and 222 are multiline responses whereas 223 isn't.

> Implementors can choose to exploit the
> commonality and implement them using the same kind of code if they like.
> However, that choice should NOT be driven by the standards document.

No. However, the behaviour of the commands IS REQUIRED TO BE IDENTICAL
except for the points I mention. So I see no reason not to make this
clear in the standards document.

>> Again, would it help if I presented draft text ?
> Draft text is always welcome.

<http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/section-9.2.txt>

I've reworded the introduction and ARTICLE extensively, because I think
the wording looks confused as it stands. I haven't changed the examples
at all. However, please look at the definitions of HEAD, BODY, and STAT
and tell my why they aren't clearer.

As I've written it, an implementor can clearly see that the four commands
do much the same thing, and can clearly see where they may and may not
differ.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037