ietf-nntp mixed-casing reference

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 27 13:17:58 PDT 2000

Chin Chee-Kai <cheekai at SoftML.net> writes:

> Speaking of casing (following Charles' email), should we document the
> practice in some newservers of disregarding the newsgroup casings?  I
> checked a deployed INN server v1.7.2 and found it rejecting mixed
> casing.

That's just the default control message handlers; some folks override
those, and you can create a newsgroup with uppercase characters using
ctlinnd from the command line.

> But it is used in my neighborhood ISP's new server, and it accepts, for
> eg., "GROUP reC.HumoR.FUNNY" as reference to "rec.humor.funny".  The
> server announces itself as "DNEWS".  Anyone knows what this server type
> is?

DNEWS.  :)  Fairly popular low-end commercial news server for Windows,
Linux, and I believe VMS.  It's main distinguishing feature is the ability
to pull down the contents of a newsgroup from an upstream server after
someone locally tries to read it (but not before).