ietf-nntp wildmat routines and text

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 12:08:45 PDT 2000

 > Andrew Gierth said:
 >> One additional comment on wildmat syntax: especially when handling
 >> UTF-8, it would be useful to support numeric \-escapes (e.g. \040
 >> or \x1234), even in []-sets.

 Clive> If you're going to do that, can I suggest that you steal the
 Clive> syntax from C99:

interesting suggestion

 Clive> You might also want to forbid escapes where the value is less
 Clive> than 0x80 (so that there's no question of dealing with \u
 Clive> codes for [ or \.

why? It seems perfectly reasonable to me for \u005b (or \x5b) to be
treated as a literal [, i.e. a \-escape is always treated as a literal
character, never a metacharacter. This is what my own experimental
implementation does.

--
Andrew.