ietf-nntp wildmat routines and text

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Jul 26 11:50:32 PDT 2000

I wrote:
>> One additional comment on wildmat syntax: especially when handling
>> UTF-8, it would be useful to support numeric \-escapes (e.g. \040
>> or \x1234), even in []-sets.
>
> If you're going to do that, can I suggest that you steal the syntax from
> C99:
>
>     \uxxxx           means U+0000xxxx in the ISO 10646 character set
>     \Uxxxxxxxx       means U+xxxxxxxx in the ISO 10646 character set

While working on some text, I ran into a problem with this.

In character sets, backslash isn't special at the moment. With any such
syntax it becomes special. If you're going to have \u, then you might as
well allow \\, \], \-, and so on, to have the "I literally mean the second
character" meaning in character sets.

Is this acceptable ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138