ietf-nntp Merging ARTICLE, HEAD, BODY, and STAT

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Wed Jul 26 09:44:41 PDT 2000

"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:

> Stan O. Barber said:
> >> So, why are you against my proposal ?
> >
> > I believe that having them broken out allows implementors to get a clear picture
> > of how each of them works. Have them clumped together makes it harder to figure
> > out.
> >
> > If I read what you write correctly, you see it the other way.
>
> Not quite.
>
> The four commands have a lot of common functionality plus specific
> differences. I believe that the common functionality should be described
> *once*. At present it's described four times in four slightly different
> ways, and it takes a reader a significant amount of effort (because of
> these differences) to determine that the things being described are the
> same.

Actually, the four commands have a simliar command set. The results returned by
each command is quite different. Implementors can choose to exploit the
commonality and implement them using the same kind of code if they like.
However, that choice should NOT be driven by the standards document.

> Again, would it help if I presented draft text ?

Draft text is always welcome.