ietf-nntp Merging ARTICLE, HEAD, BODY, and STAT

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Jul 26 09:29:51 PDT 2000

Stan O. Barber said:
>> So, why are you against my proposal ?
>
> I believe that having them broken out allows implementors to get a clear picture
> of how each of them works. Have them clumped together makes it harder to figure
> out.
>
> If I read what you write correctly, you see it the other way.

Not quite.

The four commands have a lot of common functionality plus specific
differences. I believe that the common functionality should be described
*once*. At present it's described four times in four slightly different
ways, and it takes a reader a significant amount of effort (because of
these differences) to determine that the things being described are the
same.

Again, would it help if I presented draft text ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037