ietf-nntp Section 11.5 - NEWNEWS

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 10:54:26 PDT 2000

 >> 2) the auth draft specified that SASL and the DIGEST-MD5 scheme
 >> were MUST requirements of any implementation using auth. While the
 >> desire to avoid plaintext passwords is all well and good, I for
 >> one cannot implement any scheme in which the user-entered password
 >> is not recoverable in plaintext at the server end (I have seen no
 >> SASL scheme that allows this, though it is theoretically possible
 >> using public-key encryption).

 Charles> Why not? The CHAP protocol in PPP works fine without the
 Charles> user-entered password being recovered at the server (yes,
 Charles> the server needs to know it, or some hash of it, at the time
 Charles> the user registers for service).

Because I don't _have_ the passwords, or precomputed hashes of them,
available at the server. In fact I don't even have the usernames; all
I have is a system to associate username patterns with remote
authentication methods (which are not under my control).

--
Andrew.