ietf-nntp Section 7.1 - GREETING step.

Brian Kantor brian at UCSD.Edu
Tue Jul 25 10:08:33 PDT 2000

>If, as far as the server can determine at the point of connection,
>neither IHAVE nor POST will be permitted during this session, the
>server returns a 201 response. Otherwise it returns a 200 response.
>Can everyone live with that ?

No, I think this is seriously flawed.  If a server returns a 200
but a subsequent POST fails, you've screwed the client.  201 indicates
ONLY the usability of the POST command.

Or are you seriously advocating that a client which received a 200,
and subsequently failed a POST should then retry with an IHAVE?
Eccch.
	- Brian