ietf-nntp Section 11.5 - NEWNEWS

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 02:16:39 PDT 2000

In <20000724110112.A30043 at moonfall.com> David Riley <David.Riley at software.com> writes:

>Finally, I think we should consider making NEWNEWS an extension.  I think
>that NEWNEWS is not always implemented, and is disabled in many cases.

We went through this before. The NEWNEWS command is useful, and the only
reason it is not so widely used is that it was thought to consume too much
machine resources. But the answer to that is to have smarter
implementations, and techniques for doing that are known (and even
beginning to be deployed).

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5