ietf-nntp Response code 501

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Jul 25 07:25:24 PDT 2000

Paul Overell said:
> In 8.1.4 Responses from servers without extensions
>
>> A server NNTP that conforms to this memo but does not support
>> the extensions specified here will not recognize the LIST
>> EXTENSIONS command and MUST consequently return code 500 or
>> code 501.
>
> Surely a server that does "not support the extensions specified here"
> can support extensions specified elsewhere, in which case it will
> recognize the LIST EXTENSIONS command.  Again the return code for
> unrecognized command should be 500, not 501.  I suggest recast to
>
>         An NNTP server that conforms to this memo but does not support
>         any extensions will not recognize the LIST EXTENSIONS command
>         and MUST consequently return code 500.

If you look at my proposed rewording, I've finessed this issue. In
particular, I see no reason why a server can't recognise LIST EXTENSIONS
and return an empty list; does it hurt ? We've said that clients SHOULD be
prepared for this case; why not make it that they MUST be prepared ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037