ietf-nntp Section 7.1 - GREETING step.

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Jul 25 05:56:25 PDT 2000

David Riley said:
> I still believe that the server should respond with a 200 on connect if the
> remote client is able to either IHAVE or POST.  I'd be willing to expand
> that to if the remote client might be able to either IHAVE or POST.  (In
> which case, further information will be made available with the MODE
> READER.)

This sounds about the best we're going to get. Something like:

    If, as far as the server can determine at the point of connection,
    neither IHAVE nor POST will be permitted during this session, the
    server returns a 201 response. Otherwise it returns a 200 response.

Can everyone live with that ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037