ietf-nntp Section 9.1* - low article number, and article ordering

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 19:02:58 PDT 2000

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

 [article numbering and backfill]

 Russ> This is another long discussion that I highly recommend reading
 Russ> in the archives.  I'm not saying that you're necessarily wrong,
 Russ> but there were also good reasons for making these restrictions
 Russ> and it was discussed at at least one IETF meeting of this
 Russ> working group.

Those discussions seem to boil down to "we should make server authors
solve this problem rather than client authors".

Which is all well and good, except that not even those people
advocating that position have actually come up with solutions that
work at the server end, when article numbering is being done
separately from the actual reader spools.

I've been thinking about this for the past year or so, and I don't
have a solution that doesn't involve unacceptable operational risks.

--
Andrew.