ietf-nntp Section 11.5 - NEWNEWS

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 18:18:12 PDT 2000

>>>>> "David" == David Riley <David.Riley at software.com> writes:

 David> Also, what happened with CHECK/TAKETHIS?

It's an extension and therefore not included.

 David> I remember reading AUTHINFO wasn't included since the IETF
 David> does not approve of any protocols with cleartext passwords?
 David> Is this the case?  Again, AUTHINFO USER and AUTHINFO PASS are
 David> the norm and I think they should be documented in the draft.

AUTHINFO is also an extension, and there has been a separate draft
(now expired, I think) that defined it.

There are some unresolved issues about authentication, however:

  1) the need to standardise 480 responses, which conflicts with the
     previous standard's definition of all x8x responses as being
     reserved for local extensions. (The auth draft tried to avoid
     this by using 450 rather than 480, but that breaks compatibility
     completely.)

  2) the auth draft specified that SASL and the DIGEST-MD5 scheme were
     MUST requirements of any implementation using auth. While the
     desire to avoid plaintext passwords is all well and good, I for
     one cannot implement any scheme in which the user-entered
     password is not recoverable in plaintext at the server end (I
     have seen no SASL scheme that allows this, though it is
     theoretically possible using public-key encryption).

--
Andrew.