ietf-nntp Section 7.1 - GREETING step.

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 24 17:54:30 PDT 2000

David Riley <David.Riley at software.com> writes:

> I still believe that the server should respond with a 200 on connect if
> the remote client is able to either IHAVE or POST.  I'd be willing to
> expand that to if the remote client might be able to either IHAVE or
> POST.  (In which case, further information will be made available with
> the MODE READER.)

Basically, 201 is a meaningless reply for a server that doesn't implement
POST; there's no reason sans extensions to allow a connection at all if
you're not going to allow IHAVE and don't implement POST.  And 201 has a
specific meaning that isn't useful for connecting just to exercise
extensions either.

So why not just say that?  If the client is not permitted to connect, the
approipriate 4xx or 5xx code is returned; otherwise, the server shall
print a banner starting with response code 200 unless it implements POST
but will not provided POST access to that client, in which case it uses
response 201.