ietf-nntp Section 4 - inactivity autologout timer duration

David Riley David.Riley at software.com
Mon Jul 24 17:25:28 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 07:53:06PM +0100, Andrew Gierth wrote:
> There is an additional case to consider: current implementations
> usually have a short inactivity timer for the first command of the
> session, apparently as a defence against clients that connect but do
> nothing. This is typically set to much less than three minutes (I
> currently use 30 seconds); perhaps we should mention this.

I still don't know if this needs to be mentioned at all, especially as a
MUST.  I think that it should be a SHOULD, and possibly a shorter duration
in general.  It seems silly to add special provisions for the first
command.  The statement should be changed for all commands, or simply just
removed.

--
David Riley
David.Riley at software.com - Software.com, Inc. (Vancouver, B.C.)