ietf-nntp Section 7.1 - GREETING step.

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 24 15:28:25 PDT 2000

David Riley <David.Riley at software.com> writes:

> My point is that if the server will support IHAVE or POST, it should
> respond with a 200.  Currently, it seems that a transit server which
> does not support POST should respond with 201.

This isn't existing practice in INN; I'm not sure what other systems do
here.  (Looking at some of the other feed-only systems like NNTPRelay or
Cyclone may be enlightening; I don't have any handy to check at the
moment.)

> I believe that such transit server should be able to respond with 200.

Bear in mind that when you split transit from reader, one of the points is
that the transit side doesn't need to know about all the stuff the reader
side has to figure out.  In particular, innd has no idea what access nnrpd
will allow for a given connection, and has no ability to parse nnrpd's
access files.