ietf-nntp DEBUG command

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Jul 24 15:09:56 PDT 2000

Chin Chee-Kai said:
>>> I don't remember this from the last draft, or any discussion about it.
[...]
> Having the DEBUG command as part of the standard is also
> IMHO undesirable, as it encourages the use of the main
> protocol proper to be used as part of the debugging process.
[...]

These are all good points. Can we discuss this question of debugging
further ?

I have put two new texts on my web site. These are alternative wordings for
section 4:

section-4.txt:   Is a bit wooly about x9x responses.
section-4d1.txt: Assumes DEBUG is mandatory, and restricts private extensions
                 to x8x responses.
section-4d2.txt: Doesn't mention DEBUG, but suggests a new 9xx class of
                 response meaning "another response follows immediately".

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037