ietf-nntp Section 7.1 - GREETING step.

David Riley David.Riley at software.com
Mon Jul 24 14:21:01 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:41:10PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> innd always either sends 200 or rejects the connection; innd can never
> send 201 (at least that I can see in a quick check).  The 200/201
> distinction only shows up from nnrpd.
>
> If transit returned 201 on the basis of a reader connection not being
> allowed to use IHAVE, I would expect a lot of news readers to get confused
> and think that they weren't allowed to post, even if MODE READER returned
> 200.

My point is that if the server will support IHAVE or POST, it should
respond with a 200.  Currently, it seems that a transit server which does
not support POST should respond with 201.  I believe that such transit
server should be able to respond with 200.  A reader server which only
supports POST and not IHAVE should also be able to respond with 200.

--
David Riley
David.Riley at software.com - Software.com, Inc. (Vancouver, B.C.)