ietf-nntp Section 11.5 - NEWNEWS

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Mon Jul 24 14:06:43 PDT 2000

David Riley wrote:

> Implementation aside, many servers do not provide NEWNEWS access.
> If client authors are writing news clients based on the standards, I think
> they should be made aware, that there software will not be usable on many
> systems if they rely upon NEWNEWS.  If we're documenting common practice,
> I would argue that not providing NEWNEWS is common practice.
> INN suggests against enabling it, Diablo does not implement it, and our
> software (Typhoon, Twister, and Breeze) ships with it defaulted to off.

Again, NEWNEWS is in RFC977, so it needs to be in this document.

[Though, we did leave out SLAVE in the new document, but that was based on the
fact
that there was no implementation of SLAVE that seemed to clarify how it might be
used.]
--
Stan   | PGP Key ID: 55CB6421     | Opinions expressed are only mine.
Olan   | Phone: +1-713-793-0222   | Email: sob at academ.com
Barber | Fax:   +1-713-793-0221   | http://www.academ.com/~sob