ietf-nntp Section 11.5 - NEWNEWS

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 24 13:12:50 PDT 2000

Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

>  David> The NEWGROUPS command accepts both GMT and UTC as keywords.
>  David> NEWNEWS should probably support both keywords as well.
>  David> (Currently, only GMT is listed.)

> I mentioned this before. Existing practice is to recognise only GMT for
> both commands; introducing UTC has no benefit other than to satisfy
> pedants.

For what it's worth, INN recognizes both for both commands, currently (but
hasn't historically).

>  David> I think that NEWNEWS is not always implemented, and is
>  David> disabled in many cases.

> It's disabled because people have insisted on implementing it
> inefficiently and then objecting to the resulting load. It's not as
> though it's hard to implement efficiently.

Note that INN, one of the major offenders in that regard previously, will
once again allow NEWNEWS by default in INN 2.3.0 as the implementation is
now considerably more efficient (provided people don't limit by
Distribution, which seems an infrequent enough case that it's not worth
optimizing at this point).