ietf-nntp Section 7.1 - GREETING step.

David Riley David.Riley at software.com
Mon Jul 24 12:22:11 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:27:06PM -0500, Stan O. Barber wrote:
> David Riley wrote:
> >
> > I think we should consider present the 200 greeting code if IHAVE transit
> > ability is available on the server to the client.  The response from MODE
> > READER indicates specifically whether the user may use POST or not.  I
> > would suggest the text be changed to something along the lines of.
>
> I am not sure if this is consistent with RFC977. Comments from others on this
> are welcome.

I don't think this is necessarily consisten, but I think it would be a
beneficial change to make, which shouldn't be harmful -- all readers should
be doing a "MODE READER" anyways.

> > Also, I can't seem to find older mailing list archives -- why was the 502
> > on permission denied, changed to a 504?  That does not seem to mimic
> > existing practice.
>
> See http://www.academ.com/academ/nntp/ietf/index.html for the archives.

This archive is not uptodate.  I think it lacks messages past November
1999.

Which leaves the original question -- why the change to 504?

--
David Riley
David.Riley at software.com - Software.com, Inc. (Vancouver, B.C.)