ietf-nntp Section 7.1 - GREETING step.

David Riley David.Riley at software.com
Mon Jul 24 10:48:26 PDT 2000

Part of the section currently reads:
            If the server will accept further commands from the client
            including POST, the server MUST present a 200 greeting code.

            If the server will accept further commands from the client,
            but it is not authorized to post articles using the POST
            command, the server MUST present a 201 greeting code.

            Otherwise the server MUST present a 400 or 504 greeting code
            and then immediately close the connection. 504 MUST be used if
            the client is not permitted under any circumstances to
            interact with the server and 400 otherwise.

I think we should consider present the 200 greeting code if IHAVE transit
ability is available on the server to the client.  The response from MODE
READER indicates specifically whether the user may use POST or not.  I
would suggest the text be changed to something along the lines of.
	    If the server will accept further commands from the client
	    including POST or IHAVE, the server MUST present a 200 greeting
	    code.

	    If the server will accept further commands from the client,
	    but it is not authorized to post article using the POST command
	    or inject articles using the IHAVe command, the server MUST
	    present a 201 greeting code.

Also, I can't seem to find older mailing list archives -- why was the 502
on permission denied, changed to a 504?  That does not seem to mimic
existing practice.

--
David Riley
David.Riley at software.com - Software.com, Inc. (Vancouver, B.C.)