ietf-nntp new draft of base document available

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Wed Jul 19 09:17:19 PDT 2000

Charles Lindsey wrote:

> In <ylwvijt58c.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:
>
> >! is not at all ambiguous in existing implementations; the code that
> >implements it produces a well-defined result given any input.  What about
> >it do you think is ambiguous?
>
> May I ask that someone with access to the INN source documents for us
> exactly what it does? Then, if it seems reasonable (which I fully expect
> it to), we can write the draft to match.

Anyone who is on the Internet has access to the INN source since it is freely
available. When I wrote the draft, I was trying to stay consistent with all the
server implementations I have worked with, not just INN. Not all servers do
things the same way, so in some cases, I had to choose one. In those cases, I
chose the "reference implementation" behavior first and INN second.