ietf-nntp new draft of base document available

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 02:19:46 PDT 2000

In <ylwvijt58c.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>! is not at all ambiguous in existing implementations; the code that
>implements it produces a well-defined result given any input.  What about
>it do you think is ambiguous?

May I ask that someone with access to the INN source documents for us
exactly what it does? Then, if it seems reasonable (which I fully expect
it to), we can write the draft to match.

Russ' idea of bringing ',' into the wildmat seems appealing, if its
effect can be precisely specified.

Here are some test cases, whose effect needs to be understood:

NEWNEWS news.announce.*,!news.announce.conferences
NEWNEWS !news.announce.conferences,news.announce.*
NEWNEWS !*.binaries.*

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5