ietf-nntp MODE READER

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 18 16:07:54 PDT 2000

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

> Some more questions about this command (they have been asked before, but
> got no response).

> (1) Can the server return 201 when it returned 200 to the initial
> greeting, or vice versa ?  [Assuming that the client has not used any
> extensions to change the state.]

Existing practice in INN is yes; a remote host may have feed permission
but not posting permission, meaning that they will get a 200 response on
initial connect and a 201 response after issuing MODE READER.  This would
be an unusual configuration, but it's definitely possible.

> (2) If the server returns 400 or 504, must it close the connection
> immediately ?

Existing practice in INN is yes.  I don't see any reason to allow anything
different.  Can anyone think of a purpose to keeping a connection open
once a 400 or 504 response has been sent?