ietf-nntp new draft of base document available

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 18 15:55:16 PDT 2000

Stan O Barber <sob at verio.net> writes:

> One more thing, we could make this command "RESET STATE" of the server
> so that the group and article pointers are reset to "undefined". I
> believe that is consistent with what INN does.

Nope.  MODE READER, after the first time it's sent, is a no-op apart from
printing the greeting banner again:

CMDmode(ac, av)
    int         ac;
    char        *av[];
{
    if (caseEQ(av[1], "reader"))
        Reply("%d %s InterNetNews NNRP server %s ready (%s).\r\n",
               PERMcanpost ? NNTP_POSTOK_VAL : NNTP_NOPOSTOK_VAL,
               PERMaccessconf->pathhost, inn_version_string,
               PERMcanpost ? "posting ok" : "no posting");
    else
        Reply("%d What?\r\n", NNTP_BAD_COMMAND_VAL);
}

This isn't an argument one way or the other for this interpretation of
MODE READER, since of course INN could be changed to do that.  But I'd
tend away from it; I don't see a need to overload the command in that way.