ietf-nntp new draft of base document available

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Tue Jul 18 10:15:54 PDT 2000

Lee Kindness writes:

Stan O. Barber writes:
 [ about MODE READER ]
 > One more thing, we could make this command "RESET STATE"
 > of the server so that the group and article pointers are
 > reset to "undefined". I believe that is consistent with
 > what INN does. It's a matter of choice for this WG to voice.

That would, potentially, break existing implementations. Why bother
giving the command a description, a purpose? It is a pointless command
which should be depreciated! Howabout a description like:

 The use of the MODE READER command is depreciated. The server
 MUST present a greeting code (as described in section 7.1.2.1)
 appropriate to the server's ability to provide service to this
 client.

It states what should be returned, but not why. We don't need to know
why because new client implementations shouldn't issue MODE READER.