ietf-nntp Section 8

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 18 09:59:04 PDT 2000

>>>>> "Clive" == Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

 Clive>   A successful response is followed by a list of extensions,
 Clive>   one per line.  Each line MUST begin with exactly one space

 Clive> [What's the point of this ? Despite what the draft says, it
 Clive> can't be to prevent confusion with the terminating dot as
 Clive> that's what dot stuffing is for. Is it too late to change it
 Clive> ?]

I'd like to see the space dropped, but there are existing clients
(Netscape, I believe) that issue this command, and I don't know if
they would get confused. I _do_ know that using more than one space
causes no serious problems, but I don't know if it would prevent the
recognition of a known option (Netscape is looking for the SEARCH
extension).

--
Andrew.