ietf-nntp new draft of base document available

Howard Swinehart howard at redrose.net
Tue Jul 18 08:46:45 PDT 2000

From: "Charles Lindsey" <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk>
> In <200007140545.AAA19326 at academ.com> sob at academ.com (Stan Barber)
>writes:
>

> >A new draft of the base document has been sent to the Internet
> >Drafts folks.
>
> >A copy is available at
> >ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/nntp/ietf/nntpext.txt.
>
> >The diffs from the previous release are available at this URL:
> > ftp:///ftp.academ.com/pub/nntp/ietf/nntp-diffs.txt
>
> >In this version, all the changes suggested by Clive Feather on the
> >previous
> >draft have been consider in this update with the except of those
> >that
> >relate to including pipelining in the draft.
>
> Yes, those look fine, but you still have not addressed the problems
> with
> the wildmat, or with the cpommand that use it, that I have been
> raising
> for nearly two years now.

Won't ! be ambiguous regardless of the order?  Maybe what's needed is
an exclusion operator.  ^ for example.  ! would include all that
doesn't match the wildmat pattern.  ^ would exclude all that matched
without including anything.

So your example:

NEWNEWS news.announce.*,!news.announce.conferences

would become:

NEWNEWS news.announce.*,^news.announce.conferences

This would include all of news.announce except for
news.announce.conferences.

This isn't difficult to apply in code.  My search software has search
rules for inclusion and filters for exclusion.  It first compares the
subject to the search rules.  If there are no matches it's dropped.
If it matches at least one, it moves on to the filters.  If it then
matches ANY filter, it's dropped.