ietf-nntp new draft of base document available

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Tue Jul 18 06:24:38 PDT 2000

Charles Lindsey wrote:

> In <200007140545.AAA19326 at academ.com> sob at academ.com (Stan Barber) writes:
>
> >A new draft of the base document has been sent to the Internet Drafts folks.
>
> >A copy is available at ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/nntp/ietf/nntpext.txt.
>
> >The diffs from the previous release are available at this URL:
> >       ftp:///ftp.academ.com/pub/nntp/ietf/nntp-diffs.txt
>
> >In this version, all the changes suggested by Clive Feather on the previous
> >draft have been consider in this update with the except of those that
> >relate to including pipelining in the draft.
>
> Yes, those look fine, but you still have not addressed the problems with
> the wildmat, or with the cpommand that use it, that I have been raising
> for nearly two years now.

Super.

> And finally, finally, can I remind you that I raised all these exact
> issues in December 1998, and since then we have had two drafts which have
> not corrected them. PLEASE can we have discussions of these texts on the
> LIST. You are trying to debug a complicated program by bringing it to an
> IETF meeting once a year. And if the fix does not work you wait until the
> next IETF meeting to fix that, and so on.

Folks are welcome to discuss things here. I don't recall any specific
prohibition on such discussions. Do you?

> And then on 15 Nov 1999, in reply to Stan who complained I had not
> provided detailed solution to these problems:
>
> It is no use proposing texts until we have decided what effects we want.
> In any case, I have my work cut out writing texts for the USEFOR draft,
> and I don't really want to get involved with the nitty of NNTP.

Again, without proposed texts, there is not much concrete for folks to critique.

I will deal with your questions and comments on the draft itself in another
message.

> >Also, the WG is scheduled to meet in Pittsburgh on Tuesday afternoon.
> >Suggestion for agenda topics should be posted here real soon now. I expect to
> >post an agenda next week.
>
> Fine. Please can we have my two messages above on the Agenda?

Sure. They are now on the agenda, but without a viable strawman to discuss the
possible resolution of the issues you are concerned about, it will be difficult
to reach a solution quickly.
--
Stan   | PGP Key ID: 55CB6421     | Opinions expressed are only mine.
Olan   | Phone: +1-713-793-0222   | Email: sob at academ.com
Barber | Fax:   +1-713-793-0221   | http://www.academ.com/~sob