ietf-nntp Draft summary of IETF 48 meeting

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Aug 17 02:16:06 PDT 2000

In <87d7j9l02s.fsf at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

>For overview, _sequences_ of _non-printing characters_ are replaced by
>single spaces. Spaces are printing characters, so sequences of spaces
>are not altered in any way. Tabs are non-printing characters and so
>get replaced.

It is the first time I have ever seen anyone suggesting that spaces should
be treated differently from Tabs when dealing with whitespace. My normal
understanding of the words is that both are "non printing", though I will
grant you that the POSIX macro isprint defines otherwise.

Anyway, our present draft is totally silent on this issue, so the first
task is to fix that for OVER. After that, we should adopt the same
solution for PAT.

>An interesting side-effect of this is that the sequence CR+LF+TAB in a
>header comes out as a single space in overview, whereas CR+LF+SP comes
>out as SP+SP.

Ugh!

>(note - this is not what INN did last time I looked, it just replaced
>CR,LF,TAB one-for-one with spaces.)

Double Ugh!

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5