ietf-nntp Draft summary of IETF 48 meeting

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 08:03:55 PDT 2000

>>>>> "Charles" == Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

 Charles> BTW, on looking at the OVER command, I see that it make no
 Charles> mention of collapsing whitespace (or folds). Obviously this
 Charles> must be done,

nonsense - we actually had this happen once due to a bug, and it
caused all sorts of confusion.

For overview, _sequences_ of _non-printing characters_ are replaced by
single spaces. Spaces are printing characters, so sequences of spaces
are not altered in any way. Tabs are non-printing characters and so
get replaced.

An interesting side-effect of this is that the sequence CR+LF+TAB in a
header comes out as a single space in overview, whereas CR+LF+SP comes
out as SP+SP.

(note - this is not what INN did last time I looked, it just replaced
CR,LF,TAB one-for-one with spaces.)

--
Andrew.