ietf-nntp PAT

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Aug 16 04:04:58 PDT 2000

In <20000815190941.P42158 at demon.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>> See RFC-1036 for a
>> list of valid header lines.

>This implies that a server should reject any header line not in RFC 1036.
>Is this the intention (I hope not) ? Or should PAT try to match any header
>that it's given (simple and useful) ? Or should the *server* decide which
>headers are allowed (see above) ?

I understand that some servers try to implement XPAT just by searching the
overview database. In that case, the server must be allowed to respond
with a code meaning "sorry, I don't do that header". But I don't think
mentioning RFC 1036 helps at all. If it looks like a header and quacks
like a header, then there is no harm in asking.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5