ietf-nntp Draft summary of IETF 48 meeting

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Aug 15 02:10:55 PDT 2000

In <ylhf8nldyp.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

>> With overview-based implementations, the CRLF will have been collapsed
>> to a space before the comparison happens.

>Good point.  Hm.  That means that potentially there are different
>semantics for matching against non-overview headers than matching against
>overview headers.  That would be bad; maybe we need to require a
>canonicalization of the headers be applied before the match is attempted?

>That would actually make the INN behavior make a lot more sense.

Yes, I think you word it as a canonicalisation of the header before
matching. All whitespace (including folds and the nbsp character) is
collapsed to a single SP, and then you match. The only thing in the
wildmat that matches a SP is '?' or '*' or, in PAT, the gap between
wildmats. It seems close enough to what INN does (does INN collapse folds,
too?) and close enough to what XPAT seems to be trying to do.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5