ietf-nntp Draft summary of IETF 48 meeting

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 14 14:39:26 PDT 2000

Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

>>> How do you match a Subject line with a fold in the middle? And so
>>> on.

>  Russ> You'd have to use ?? to match the CRLF.

> With overview-based implementations, the CRLF will have been collapsed
> to a space before the comparison happens.

Good point.  Hm.  That means that potentially there are different
semantics for matching against non-overview headers than matching against
overview headers.  That would be bad; maybe we need to require a
canonicalization of the headers be applied before the match is attempted?

That would actually make the INN behavior make a lot more sense.