wildmats (was: Re: ietf-nntp Draft summary of IETF 48 meeting)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Aug 11 11:32:08 PDT 2000

Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On the other hand, a new client that uses LIST ACTIVE foo*,bar*
> expecting to get all foo* groups and all bar* groups will fail to work
> on old servers.

Hm.  Okay, I see your point; I just don't find it all that persuasive,
since it means that clients using new features won't work with older
servers and that's true of all sorts of things whenever you write a new
standard.  (For example, PAT isn't going to work on most servers currently
either.)  But it is a valid point.

I plan on putting the support for comma-separated regexes into the next
major version of INN after 2.3.0, but I'm not sure if there's a currently
deployed server that supports commas everywhere, rather than on a hit and
miss basis in different commands.

I'd like the new syntax to at least be the specified way in which PAT
works, since we can make up the rules there as it's a new command with
this draft.